Disclosure: The content on this site is free. Some of the links below are affiliate links from companies like Amazon.com and if you click the links and make a purchase we will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you in advance if you decide to support our site by using our affiliate links!
100 Awesome 3rd Grade Writing Prompts
Students in third grade should be able to write different styles. According to experts, third-grade writing exercises should include explanatory or informative texts, opinion pieces, and narratives about imagined and real experiences. In addition, their writing curriculum should feature a few basic research projects.
Shared in this post are a variety of writing prompts for third grade students to help them develop all-round writing skills.
- Fun Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
- Informative Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
- Essay Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
- Research Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
- Narrative Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
- Engaging Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
Fun Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
- I am afraid to….. because…
- If I were to become President, the first thing I would do is…….
- How do you deal with classmates who bug you?
- What is your favorite room in your home? Why do you like it so much?
- What is your favorite hobby? Why do you like it so much?
- If you could talk to trees, what would you say to them?
- If you could talk to your dog, what would you talk about with him?
- Climbing trees is….
- If you could go back into time and correct one mistake of yours, which one will it be?
- Who’s your favorite author and why?
- What do you like better – walking in the rain or reading a book when it’s raining? And why?
- What is one thing you are proud of yourself?
- If I were an Easter egg…..
- Imagine you can fly like an eagle? What will you do?
- Imagine what would it happen if one day it really did start raining cats and dogs?
- Older people are….
- Imagine you could change one thing about your school, what would it be?
- What would happen if animals could talk just like us?
- What would you do I you are marooned all alone on an island?
- Who is your favorite actor and why?
- If you could meet one celebrity, who will it be?
- What is your dream vacation? If you could take one person along with you to your dream vacation, who will it be?
- What would you do if you suddenly find yourself transported to a country where no one speaks your language?
- Imagine you are the last person on the earth? What would you do?
- Imagine you have turned into a chipmunk? What would you do?
Informative Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
- Explain what it means to be a good friend.
- Should kids in 3rd grade be allowed to have a cell phone? Write your opinion.
- Imagine you could give advice to someone—it could be your school principal, a celebrity, a family member, or anybody else. What advice will you give?
- What is better in your opinion: one long summer break from school or multiple shorter breaks throughout the year?
- Should soda machines or candy machines be available to students? What do you think?
- Think about an invention that has impacted your life the most. Now write an essay about this invention and its impact on you.
- Write an article about an event from your life.
- Imagine you could change one thing about your school. What would it be?
- What are the advantages of being a student at your school?
- Which animal makes the best pet? Write 5 reasons.
Essay Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
- Think of something you are afraid of and explain why this thing is so frightening.
- Write about a day you were grumpy. What made you so grouchy? Did your mood improve as the day went by?
- Write about an interesting story about your family?
- Imagine you could become any fictional character for a day. Which character would you choose?
- If you could be the main character from your favorite movie or book, who would you choose? What kinds of adventure would you have?
- Imagine you receive $1000 to do random acts of kindness. Who would you like to help? Write about how you will spend the money?
- Superheroes in comics and movies do pretty amazing things, but what about real-life heroes? Can you think of a real-life superhero who has done some cool things?
- What is your favorite household chore and why?
- Describe a tradition that is kind of unique to your family?
- Write about your favorite game.
- If you could eat one food for a year, what would you pick?
- Have you ever been lost? What was the experience like?
- Describe an event that you would rather forget.
- Would you like to be younger than you are right now or older?
- Which is your favorite subject in the school? Why do you like it so much?
Research Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
- Read about the childhood of your favorite American president and write an essay about what you learn.
- Many people think about Ben Franklin as a statesman, but he was also a great inventor. Write about some of the things he invented.
- Research why tsunami occurs.
- Research about your favorite martial art and write an essay about it.
- Which was the first comic book? What it was all about?
- How much time teenagers spend online on average?
- How do bats and dolphins use echolocation?
- Who do you think is the greatest explorer ever? Write an essay about this person
- Are Great White sharks really man eaters? Research this topic and write an essay on it
- What is the history of your country? Research your country’s history and write an essay about one important event in your country’s past
- Write an essay about Marsupials
- Write an essay about the International Space Station. Talk about how it’s used, why it’s important, and who visits it
- Write an essay about an important battle in history
- Which is your favorite animal? Write an essay about it. Include facts such as its diet, habitat, and behavior
- Pick a Native American tribe. Write an essay about their culture and how the used the natural resources in their nearby areas
- Research your favorite author. Include facts such as how he or she started writing and when
- Which country you would like to visit most? Research it and write an essay about its holidays and culture
- Choose a famous scientist and write about his or her contributions and life
- Research how Japanese celebrate New Year. Investigate how long is New Year holiday in Japan and why do Japanese eat mochi in New Year
- Which is the coldest place in the world? Write an essay about it
Narrative Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
- A friendly dog follows you home from school. What happens next?
- Think of a time when your teacher surprised the class. Write about what happened and how the students reacted
- If you could be the school principal for a day, what would you do?
- Imagine you can travel in time to live through one special event from history. Which event would you choose? What experiences you will have?
- Think about a day that you think you will never forget. What made it so special?
- What excites you and why?
- Tell about a time when someone helped you
- Tell about a time when you helped someone
- What is the difference between being polite and rude? Give two examples
- Tell about a person that inspires you and why
- What is your favorite type of weather?
- If you could participate in Olympics, which sport would participate in?
- Which car would you like to drive when you grow up and why?
- Which would you rather be able to do – read other people’s minds or fly? Why?
- Write an essay about a special event in your life
Engaging Writing Prompts for 3rd Grade
- Write an essay about what you like most in your best friend.
- Describe the best thing about being in the 3rd grade.
- If you could make one change in your school’s menu, what would it be?
- What is your favorite TV show? Why?
- Do you like to learn by reading, listening, or doing?
- Which is your favorite holiday destination and why?
- Which is your favorite season and why?
- Would you rather be a baseball player or a computer engineer? Give three reasons
- What is your favorite movie and why?
- What is your favorite song and why?
- Describe your favorite hobby.
- Which is your favorite book? Why do you like it so much?
- What would you eat if you are marooned on a deserted island? How would you catch your food?
- If you could be a superhero for one day, what would you do?
- Imagine you are in the middle of a lake and suddenly your boat starts to leak. What would you do?
Remember, there’s no substitute to practicing writing regularly. These prompts, while extremely helpful in realizing your true writing potential, will be effective only if you write regularly.
So pick any story idea that you like and let the creative juices flow. And if you need more story ideas, here’s an article that you would really like.